Buttermilk-Chive Mashed Potatoes aka Always Have a Back-Up Plan

Always have a back-up plan.  

I was really excited about the recipe that I found for this month's Improv Cooking Challenge.  The theme was potatoes and chives and it was March!  What could be more perfect?  I think it was the recipe that I was going to make....it didn't happen.

Things started out smoothly but quickly changed when my mom came down with a bit of pneumonia. That meant long days at the doctor, the lab, the radiologist and the pharmacy...repeated each week for three weeks.  I am happy to say that the CAT scan on Friday was clear.  That said.  I haven't gotten groceries not have I cooked much.

I did however, have a back-up plan that wasn't really I hadn't thought of as a back-up plan.  I just happened to have everything that I needed and was trying to use up some buttermilk.  Thus, we have today's post:  Buttermilk-Chive Mashed Potatoes.  Not the most difficult side dish and rather obvious for the ingredients, but I am so happy that I made them and photographed them for future!!

They were wonderful!  I remember my mom using buttermilk in mashed potatoes on occasion and how good they were.  These hit the mark especially with butter melting on them!  When I make mashed potatoes, I don't measure.  I use liquid sparingly and aim for consistency of the mashed potatoes.  We prefer potatoes that are on the thick side.  That said, below is the recipe that I used as a guide for ingredients.


Buttermilk-Chive Mashed Potatoes
adapted from The Irish Spirit by Margaret Johnson


Yield:  4-6 servings

3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled ad cut into small chunks
1/2 cup unsalted Kerrygold Irish butter, cut into pieces
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup half and half
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes.  Drain.  Return the potatoes to the pot.  Mash over low heat until they are almost smooth or to your desired consistency.  Stir in the butter. Add the buttermilk and half and half in parts mixing after each part. Stop when they are at your desired consistency.  Mix in the thyme and chives.  Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.

Note:  Everybody has a preference when it comes to the consistency of their mashed potatoes.  I did not use all of the liquid in the recipe.  I added it in parts until I was happy with the consistency.  



Simple but delicious!



The Improv Cooking Challenge Facebook Group is a monthly challenge supported by Nicole Little at Cookaholic Wife.  Each month two ingredients are listed and the challenge is to create or find a recipe that you would like to prepare and share.  Everything you need to know can be found on Nicole's blog.  Join us!


Comments

  1. They look delicious and as a fan of buttermilk, I know I would like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kathy -- I soooooooo hear you on the back-up plan! I'm glad your mom is improving in health.
    That being said, I don't think I've ever mashed potatoes with buttermilk. From the looks of your delicious pictures, though, that's something we'll try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love using buttermilk in my mashed potatoes. I am glad to hear that your Mom is on the mend and I'm very happy you had a back up plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These mashed potatoes look delicious! I'm glad your mom is doing better!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts