The Very Best Banana Bread

Apologies...I am so far behind in posting, but there is a good reason.  Our annual trip to Oregon was in July.  We have traveled to the lake every year since 1987.  That tells you how much we enjoy going.  When we are at the lake, for the most part, we do not have cable, internet or cell reception. Twice though, a random connection happened and we actually got two phone calls!

The day before we left I did some baking.  One of the items I made was this wonderful banana bread. I happened on the recipe while visiting my oldest daughter in Seattle.  She requested that I make a banana bread.  After much searching and comparing, I decided that Martha would be my friend.


We were not disappointed.  In fact, this recipe has officially replaced my old banana nut recipe.  It is very moist and flavorful.  And, as we drove North at dark-thirty in the morning, with our coffee in hand, it certainly hit the spot!

The Very Best Banana Bread
adapted from Martha Stewart

Yield:  1 loaf pan
Preheat oven:  350° F.

1/2 cup butter, room temperature (1 stick), plus additional for the pan
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup mashed bananas (very ripe, about 3)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Prepare a loaf pan (9 X 5 X 3) with butter and set aside.  

In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time beating after each to incorporate.

Mix together the flour, soda and salt in a separate bowl.  Add this to the butter mixture.  Mix until combined.  Stir in the bananas, vanilla, and sour cream.  Stir in the nuts.

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.

Bake the cake until a tester, inserted in the center of the loaf, comes out clean, approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven.  Allow the bread to rest for 10 minutes and turn out onto a rack to cool.

Note:  I have made the recipe four times, using different ovens.  Each time I have removed the bread after about 58 minutes.  I would recommend checking the bread after 55 minutes and then watch closely as it finishes up quickly!



I am sharing today at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage.

Comments

  1. I just made one w/ sour cream:) But added toasted coconut..I think I collect BB recipes:) How nice to get away..unplugged:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, My wife loves banana bread but she's never made it with sour cream...another one of her staple items. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I'd love to try out this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious Kathy - I especially like it with black walnuts, but they are not for everyone. Wow, no electronics - I need a good dose of that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hasten to say that every blogger probably has a "Best Banan Bread" recipe on his/her site. I know I do. I am always up to try the next very best thing, though. Hope your time in Oregon was wonderful. It is good to get unplugged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kate,
    I just love Banana Bread and this looks like a great recipe! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a great day!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts