Buca Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I remember the first time that I had garlic mashed potatoes.  It was in Claremont when my daughter was in college.  We decided to go to Buca Di Beppo Italian Restaurant.  Just walking in the door and I was in love...the aromas were heavenly.  Everybody said that the Garlic Mashed Potatoes had to be ordered regardless of what entry was selected.  I figured if they were that good, then I had to try them.

The potatoes did not disappoint...yes, there was garlic but there was another flavor that I couldn't figure out.  The combination of the two had me convinced that I would be back and that I would eventually figure out the second ingredient.

I found a reference to Buca Garlic Potatoes on Miz Helen's blog earlier this year and knew that I had to try them.  If they were anything like Buca's I was certain to love them.


Buca Garlic Mashed Potatoes

2 lbs (8 medium) red skin potatoes, washed (peeled or unpeeled, cook's choice)
1/4 cup minced garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
Fresh ground pepper
1 cup grated Romano Cheese
1/2 cup butter
Milk
2 Tbsp chopped parsley

Place the washed potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water and some salt.  Cook the potatoes over medium heat until they come to a full boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover and continue cooking until the potatoes are very soft.  Drain the potatoes.

While the potatoes are cooking, mince the garlic.

Transfer the potatoes to a large mixing bowl or use the pan the potatoes were cooked in.  Use a potato masher to initially crush the potatoes.  Add the garlic, oregano, salt, a couple twists of fresh ground pepper, cheese, butter and about 1/4 cup milk.  With a potato masher or with a hand mixer, mash and mix in all of the ingredients.  Add additional milk to get the potatoes to the desired consistency.

Garnish with chopped parsley.

Notes:  I would reduce the amount of garlic and increase the amount of milk when making these a second time. That amount of garlic was over-powering to us.  I also needed to add more milk to get a better consistency.



While we prefer more of a hint of garlic, these would be great for those who love a strong garlic flavor.  I think that I will play with this recipe just a bit to see if I can get the flavors adjusted. The next time I make them I will use Gruyere cheese instead of the Romano just for fun.

I am sharing today at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage and Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.

Comments

  1. Kate, We surely don't have a really good Italian restaurant here in East Tennessee. Not even the upscale chains...so we have to 'go' Italian at home. I always loved the garlic mashed at Buca and thanks to you I now know where all that flavor came from. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice way of making garlic mashed potatoes. # Miz Helen. My blog is -
    http://herbsspicesandtradition.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of garlic, but they look so creamy and delicious. I love potatoes with the skin on for mashed potatoes. It makes me think that there is bacon in there too! Will have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love garlic potatoes and your presentation of them is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adore garlic mashed potatoes, but this is definitely kicked up a few notches. I like the idea of using Gruyere instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would give up everything else on my plate, from the finest steak to a whole lobster for just one plate of these potatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts