Seafood Mold


 My friend brought a molded appetizer to work last week.  We were having one of our "eating days".  I work with a fabulous group of ladies who are dedicated to their work, centered around family, and are all great cooks!  Going to work each day is a pleasure when one can be with a group of ladies such as this.  Next to working together, we like cooking and/or eating together.  We can come up with great ideas for celebrating birthdays, cold days, hot days, and just because days!

The molded seafood appetizer appealed to me because I was in need of an appetizer for Mother's Day and it was different.  I needed to break out of my "mold"!

What do we know about a molded salad?  Molded fruited/jello salads were first popular in the 1920's.  They were very popular in 1950's and they appear again in the 60's and 70's.  In the 60's and 70's they take a on a different look.  According to The Food Timeline Cocktail Buffets featured a Sardine Mold.  Please do not serve me that!  I would much prefer the Lobster Mold!

My friend's appetizer was really tasty and disappeared quickly.  There was one ingredient, though, that made me take pause....soup, yep, Cream of Mushroom Soup.  Hmmm....  I needed something different, I knew it was good, so I decided to make it and take my friend's advice.  She said she preferred to use Cream of Celery Soup.  That has a nice flavor and I thought it would go great.

She also shared that she has made it with shrimp, crab, or imitation crab.  She said that the flavor is milder with the imitation crab so I used that.

The family loved it!  I will definitely make this again.  Thank you, friend, for sharing.


Seafood Mold

6 oz cream cheese
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Tbsp Knox gelatin
3 Tbsp water
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup celery, finely chopped
2 green onions, chopped
Crab or shrimp
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
Crackers

Heat soup and cream cheese until stir until smooth.  Dissolve gelatin in water.  Add to soup mixture.  Set aside to cool.

When cool, add all other ingredients (except the crackers!).  Stir well.  Pour into a greased mold.  Chill overnight.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


Many of you will recognize that I used a Tuperware mold that I found hiding in the back of a cupboard.  It hadn't been used in a very long time.  It was fun to try something different and give myself a reason to not toss out items that I haven't been using.

Comments

  1. Evening Kate!
    How pretty is that mold!
    a very different idea...bet it was a hit!
    I'm always looking for something like this,
    Thanks again for the inspiration,
    xoxo~Kathy @
    Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. woah, it looks real big and sounds like a tasty appetizer!
    I love seafood. I should try this with some tortilla chips :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that. looks. amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The perfect appetizer for here !!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, would I ever like this!!!! I used to make molded salads all the time just like my mom but for some reason I've gotten away from it. This looks like a winner, Kate. I'll prepare this for a bbq this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great. Not often that we serve molded salads anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds lovely! I have had a tuna mousse before and love it so this sounds just like it except easier to make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty! I've never tried making a mold of any kind. I agree with you about the sardines. Icky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so yummy!...the cream of mushroom soup would give me pause too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely presentation, Kate. I have a shrimp mold I make and it uses tomato soup. I have been bored with it for years! I love it because it serves a ton of people. So now I am copying yours...it looks delicious and also will serve a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very pretty; I'm saving this. I recently made a broccoli salad mold -- no soup, just gelatin and mayo. But it used up extra hard-cooked eggs from Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is something so different. Love your picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate, thanks for following my travels. It's good to be home and to be able to check in with you.

    This mold looks perfect for Mother's day! Thanks for sharing it. I love the photo with the crackers...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kate, this is gorgeous. I haven't made anything in a mold in such a long time I don't think I still have my mold. Guess I'll have to get another.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do any of you still have the individual Tupperware molds? I have 2 sets. I always snatch up Tupperware at the GoodWill. I have about 15 of the hamburger molds and they are good for individual congealed salads too.

    I love making non greens salads and this can be worked on to make 2 servings. That broccoli salad mold sounds good.

    I will be using the popsicle molds too--have 2 sets of them from the mid 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi This is Jeanine from Big Bear and just wanted to say hi and thank you for posting a comment on my blog. Your summery in your bio read as if I was reading what I wrote, you and I walked the same path. I am glad you crossed my path I look forward to soaking up your blog. (yes my coyotes look like they haven't skipped a meal. Take care my new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a gorgeous appetizer. It sounds delicious and your photos of it are wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun! I love stuff like this - I bet it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got this recipe from my Grandma! It's been a Holiday staple in our family ever since I can remember. Only we use Tomato soup, I'm anxious to try the cream of mushroom. Also a dash of Tabasco adds a lot of flavor. And we always use Shrimp & Crab, instead of one or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have made this recipe every year for Christmas Eve (everyone asks for it) since the 70's but my recipe calls for tomato soup instead of cream of mushroom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts