Southwestern Grilled Chicken

While thumbing through chicken recipes I found one for Southwestern Grilled Chicken with a note that it was excellent. I must have made this a long time ago because I couldn't remember much about it. I agree with my "note to self", though, this was excellent. It is also quick and easy which is nice when things are hectic!

I like the idea of a marinade that imparts all of the wonderful flavors to the chicken! This recipe makes quite a bit of marinade...I should have paid attention to my other notation, "cut the recipe in half". We used three large chicken breasts which we cut into thirds making large chunks. I also put the chicken and the marinade into a ziplock bag and set it in a dish in the refrigerator. The chicken was immersed and I didn't have to think about it again until the grill was hot!

Southwestern Grilled Chicken

2 medium tomatoes, quartered
2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed
2/3 cup soy sauce
6 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
4-5 large whole chicken breasts, split, rib bones removed (boneless can also be used)
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish.



Place the tomatoes, onions, pepper, garlic, cilantro, soy sauce, oil, lime juice, and black pepper in a blender or food processor and process for 30 seconds. Pour the marinade over the chicken breasts and marinate, covered and refrigerated for at least 4 hours, turning frequently. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill over medium for 20-30 minutes, turning frequently and basting with the marinade. Sprinkle the breasts with parsley before serving.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

The chicken was moist and flavorful!
It was a great accompaniment to the California Black Beans that were also part of the meal.

Comments

  1. It's dinner time here and I'm hungry. This looks like the perfect thing for dinner! I'm thinking about the flavor that the cilantro adds to the chicken...YUM! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT!!! marinade. I like the idea of the lime and cilantro GREAT!!! combination.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. That name intrigues me. The marinade sounds more Asian than Southwestern. Whatever its source, this is a really nice recipe. I can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah! This sounds easy and so flavorful. Did you grill outdoors? The weather in California has been spectular, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just look at the colours of the marinade! For sure this dish is a winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This chicken sounds really good. We are leaving for Florida this week and it will be good to have on the grill when we are there. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy blog birthday Sam! Mine is coming up in January. Seems like you have been there from the very beginning. What fun we are having! I remember the Marsh Harbour International Airport very well, but we never made it to Wally's. I wish you many more blog birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops Kate! The above was supposed to go to Sam at My Carolina Kitchen. But I wish you many blog birthdays too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The flavors sound really good! Your photos make this dish look fabulous! Printing now....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum........your pictures say it all!! Nice recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your recipes always sound so good! Love lime with cilantro..a perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This chicken recipe is terrific! I have been keeping my eye out for a new fun chicken recipe! Thank you for coming to my rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The chicken looks fabulous. Clever you making notes to yourself - I am trying to get into the habit of tagging and making notes, but sadly quite often my good intentions come to nought.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always so happy to find notes on my recipes reminding me that I liked them. I guess I would hae thrown them away if I didn't but I usually make changes and then forget that I did it. Is this a bad sign?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts