Leftover Turkey - Turkey and Biscuit "Pie"?


Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love the menu...yes, I already said that in an earlier post. The menu extends for days, actually. I love the leftover turkey menus also!

How about a pot pie but with biscuits? I have made Ina Garten's recipe for Stewed Chicken and Biscuits over the years and the Kitchen Gnome loved it. When I suggested that instead of a Turkey Pot Pie I just make it with biscuits he was agreeable as long as I used "those little onions" that were in the chicken dish. Okay, I could use "those little onions".


Turkey and Biscuit "Pie"
adapted from Ina Garten's Chicken Stew with Biscuits

Filling:

5 cups leftover turkey
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup white wine
2 chicken bouillon cubes
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions (about 2 onions)
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups medium-diced carrots (4 carrots), blanched for 2 minutes
1 10-ounce package frozen peas (2 cups)
1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions
1 tsp thyme
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley

Biscuits:

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 pound (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
3/4 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a small saucepan, heat the turkey stock and wine and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock. In a large pot, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the hot turkey stock and wine to the sauce.

Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick. Add 2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp thyme, and the heavy cream. Add the turkey, carrots, peas, onions, and parsley. Mix well. Place the mixture in a 10 x 13 x 2-inch oval or rectangular baking dish. Place the baking dish on a sheet pan lined with parchment or wax paper. Bake for 15 minutes. (You definitely need the cookie sheet lined with parchment!)

While the filling bakes, make the biscuits. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas. Add the half-and-half and combine. Mix in the parsley.
Roll dough out on a well-floured board to 3/8-inch thick. Cut out twelve circles with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter.
Remove the filling from the oven and arrange the biscuits on top. Brush them with egg wash, and return the dish to the oven. Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes, until the biscuits are brown and the stew is bubbly.

Note: To make in advance, refrigerate the turkey filling and biscuits separately. Bake the filling for 25 minutes, then place the biscuits on top, and bake for another 30 minutes, until done.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

I would like some more, please!


Thanksgiving, turkey, leftovers, comfort food...wonderful!
This is delicious! If you have an abundance of turkey and are looking for an idea...this is it!

I am submitting Thanksgiving Leftovers for Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Designs by Gollum! Stop by to see all of the wonderful dishes that the bloggers are still cooking...even after Thanksgiving!


Comments

  1. We just had one turkey leftover meal last night but I think I might make this for dinner tomorrow. The herbed biscuits look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes yes...I'll have some please. Oh my, makes me wish we would have had thanksgiving this week too....but then, we've had ours already in Canada...just a few more weeks til our Christmas turkey and I will keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy...the biscuits are gorgeous...we all need a few of these recipes to say "Good-bye" to the turkey! Have a great week, xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great idea. Love the biscuits with the herbs. Yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very timely--we had our thanksgiving dinner last night, and there wasn't much turkey left over. But I'm boiling up the carcass to make stock and there's just about enough meat on it to make this.

    I love the idea of putting parsley in the biscuits--I never would have thought about that!

    Thanks for posting this, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds and looks so delicious and cozy. I loe the little herb-flecked biscuits, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my goodness! Don't we love Thanksgiving leftovers! Your blog is done so well.
    Come by and visit, I have several holiday, food, posts.
    www.bcpmylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic, Kate. This is a wonderful way to use some of the leftover turkey. The biscuits on top make it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Kate, thanks for stopping by! Looks like you found something good for the leftover turkey. I have been making pot pies lately too & we are loving them. I hope you'll come back & visit me, I've got a lot of fun things planned for the Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks great. only thing i might do different is make the biscuits as a big sheet so that it almost looks like a shepherds pie

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks delicious..The biscuits are calling me!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That pie topped with biscuits is gorgeous and I bet it was delicious. What a great thing to do with homemade biscuits. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great comfort food...those biscuits look heavenly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts