Grilled Citrus, Herb & Garlic Prawns


In my mind, shrimp and summer go together. Summer is a time for families and friends to break out the barbecue and enjoy the outdoors! Shrimp seems to fit the scenario. It is a quick and easy dish and can be served as an appetizer or a main course. We recently had some friends for dinner and shrimp became the appetizer!

I pulled out the Cahoots Cookbook again as I like to try a variety of recipes from a new cookbook. I was searching for an appetizer that would have a fresh, summer "feel" to it. The Grilled Citrus, Herb and Garlic Prawn fit the bill. They were delicious!

I realized while writing the recipe up for today that I had not prepared it as directed. It states "in a bowl mix together, garlic, salt, zest....." At the time,to me, in a bowl meant the bowl of the food processor! While that is what I did, I do not believe the intent was that I was to blend all of the ingredients in the food processor! Fortunately, for this recipe, it didn't seem to matter. The shrimp were succulent and flavorful!

The shrimp were served warm over a bed of rosemary stems and were fragrant and delicious. They can be served hot or cold...I can attest to that because there were two leftover from the dinner and I had for lunch today!


Grilled Citrus, Herb and Garlic Prawns

1/3 cup garlic, chopped in the food processor with 2 teaspoons of salt
Zest from 1 lemon, 1 lime, and 1 orange
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 pound 16/20 count shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails on
6 10-inch wooden skewers, soaked in water
Rosemary sprigs
Chopped cilantro for garnish



1. In a bowl mix together garlic, salt, zest, rosemary, cilantro, and olive oil. Add shrimp. Mix well and marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 to 6 hours.

2. Prepare the charcoal or gas grill, or ridged grill pan.

3. Thread shrimp onto the skewers, first through the top of the shrimp and then again just above the tail, about 6 per skewer.

4. Grill shrimp for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until just done, pink and opaque.


5. To serve, garnish a platter with rosemary sprigs. Remove shrimp from the skewers, scatter over the rosemary. Top with chopped cilantro.

Serves 4-6

PRINTABLE RECIPE

This will become a regular recipe at our house! Quick, easy, and delicious!

Comments

  1. Grilled shrimp is one of my favorite summer meals. Love all the citrusy (is that a word?) flavors you've used.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts