Blackberry and Blueberry Cobbler



As I combed through a recipe box today, I came across a worn piece of paper with a recipe written by a colleague. The pencil was fading but it could still be read. She was an older lady who always brought the most wonderful peach cobbler to work. Every potluck, she was like clockwork! She passed away about 15 years ago but her cobbler is one that I have made many times. It lives on....She laughed when I complemented her and asked if she would share the recipe. She kept telling me that it was really quite simple to make. She said that her mom used to make it.

Everybody needs a no fail cobbler recipe. This is it. It is a go to recipe when you have no time and just want a quick dessert....or dish for a potluck!

I had always had it with peaches but started making it with blackberries on our family vacations. There were always an abundance of blackberries and this was a quick dessert that could be made for the family. I would pre-measure the dry ingredients and label the zip lock with the baking directions before we left.

Unlike most cobblers, the batter is placed in the dish and the fruit is placed on top. The crust raises to the top during baking.

Fruit Cobbler

Preheat oven: 350-375 degrees
Bake: 20 minutes

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 tsp salt

1 pt fruit
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup hot water
Sprinkle with cinnamon


Mix the first six ingredients and spread in the bottom of a greased 8 X 8 dish.

Mix the next four ingredients and pour over the dough.

Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Test crust for doneness.

This can be made with fresh or canned fruit. If you are using canned fruit, do not add the water. The crust won't cook through.

PRINTABLE RECIPE



Enjoy! You can certainly tell which berries are in abundance at my house!

Comments

  1. Two of my favorite berries! This is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cobbler is one of my favorite desserts - yours looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an interesting cobbler recipe! it baked up just like the one's with the batter on top, though, so you'll hear no complaints from me. love the pretty berries, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought a flat of marionberries so your timing is perfect. Warm with a big scoop of ice cream...heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks fast and easy, and a way to use up way to much fruit!

    just noticed where you live, if we are 108 you must be hotter... YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That seems to be the magic number...and again, today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking cobbler. My sister is the cobbler maker of the family. Someone always requests it. I need an air conditioner...so many things I want to bake right now but it's too warm. I need an outdoor kitchen like my Grandmother had (although she had air condition!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts